msmcknittington
05 February 2008 @ 09:43 pm
You guys, I actually finished something. All right, so I actually finished these a couple weeks ago, and the cloche a few months ago, but I have taken pictures and am now sharing them. I think we can all agree that's pretty awesome.

As always, click on the pictures to see larger ones. There are a lot of them, but they are small, so it should be fairly dial-up friendly.

The Kim Cloche )



1930s Beret )
 
 
Current Music: Procreation Chick -- Splashdown
 
 
msmcknittington
25 February 2007 @ 02:16 am
I finally finished my mid-nineteenth century bonnet. It's a mishmash of the middle decades when it comes to decoration, but I'd wear it to a Civil War reenactment and not feel like too much of a farb. Well, except for all the craft glue.



I know, I kind of look like a goon, but all the others were blurry. I'll try to get some better ones tomorrow if there's enough light.

What: Mid-nineteenth century bonnet
Inspiring images: CDV 64, CDV 67, CDV 60, CDV 83
Pattern: Butterick 4210 Historical Hats
Materials: Buckram and milliner's wire from Judith M Millinery, black cotton velvet from the stash, pink silk chiffon from Fashion Fabrics Club, blue cotton muslin from the stash, fabric/plastic flowers from Wal-Mart, polyester satin ribbon from Wal-Mart, lots and lots and lots of craft glue, 1/4" black velvet ribbon, buttonhole twist

There are more photos, including a larger one of the above photo, and description under the cut.

I may have to be a shepherdess for Hallowe'en now, which means I need sheep. )

Would I use the pattern again? I don't know. I like this hat, but there features of the pattern I don't like. Like the way the brim attaches to the body of the hat. It makes for a very ugly connect, and you need to have it trimmed there or people will make faces at you behind your back. I'd like to use another view in the same pattern (the dinner table sized Edwardian hat), but I'm sure I'll modify it as highly as I did this one. The jury remains out.

What I would do differently: I'd be less lazy and use far less craft glue. I used an entire four ounce bottle on this project, which I think is a little ridiculous. If I made another bonnet of the same shape, I'd probably end up doing a chiffon/netting drawn bonnet on a wire frame with purple ribbon and pink flowers -- light as a feather and incredibly frilly. I'd also probably scale down the ornamentation a little.

Favorite part of the project: Decorating, by far. I still have an enormous ostrich plume that I may or may not attach, depending on whether or not I can bring myself to emulate fashion plates. Honestly, it might be more fashion than I can handle.
 
 
Current Music: Black is the Colour -- Niamh Parsons