msmcknittington
21 December 2008 @ 10:41 pm
Doilygate 2008 has ended. Mostly because I ran out of thread, and it's ecru, so I'd never be able to match the dyelot.

Behold, the Wheat and Grape Doily:

gmadoily 012

There were tons and tons of errors in the pattern. I'm glad I ran out of thread, because I was afraid that I'd find another one that I'd have to puzzle out. The biggest error was that the way it told you to start a new round resulted in there being only 8 spaces on the grape vine part, instead of the 9 that should be there. You can't tell unless you go and count them, thank god. I didn't realize it until after I'd gotten to the clusters for the "grapes", which is near where I stopped.

So, I think it looks pretty good! It's probably going to be about 20 inches across once it's blocked and stretched. It's just lightly pinned out there for me to see how it looked. I'm wondering if I can sneak Grandma's doily stretcher away from her without raising suspicion, but I'm guessing I won't be able to. I'll probably end up blocking it on a pizza box, but I'm a little nervous about that, as the pizza box formerly held pizza. Maybe I can infuse the starch with lavender, just to be safe.

It's a great improvement over last year's doily, that's for sure.